Posted on: 26 June 2015
If you have a home that has been damaged by a flood or fire, mold may be a bigger issue than you realize. You may not think that a fire puts you at risk, but when your structure gets soaked with water, it creates a perfect atmosphere for mold to thrive in. Since you have to wait for the insurance company to approve restoration before it starts, the structure may remain waterlogged for longer than you realize. Here, you can learn some of the signs of mold contamination so that you can tend to it immediately.
One of the biggest signs that you have been exposed to mold is the respiratory issues it causes. Mold spores travel in the air and are easily inhaled without you even knowing it. They can cause symptoms that are similar to allergies, so they can be hard to detect. Things like itchy eyes and a dry cough may indicate that you have been exposed to mold. These issues can occur from the first day of the mold infestation until after the infestation is treated along with the respiratory symptoms.
A musty odor is a sure indication that mold is present. One of the most confusing things about the odor is that it may be sensed in areas that don't actually have mold. Since mold is usually found in dark, damp areas, try inspecting your basement or area around your furnace. If the area around your furnace is infected with mold, the odor will be pulled through the ductwork in the house so that your living room might smell like mold without the living actually being contaminated.
Black or Green Spots
Mold happens to thrive in areas that are inaccessible simply because that's where humidity tends to stay trapped. However, when there are other areas that are holding humidity, mold will thrive there as well. In other words, it isn't trying to hide from you. It's simply going to the environment where it is most likely to thrive. You may be able to see black or green spots on the wall, a visual indicator that mold is thriving in your home. Inspect some of the most common area to see if these spots are present.
- Walls near standing puddles
- Area between washer and/or dryer and surrounding walls
- Inside furnace closet
- Behind or near the toilet
If you have had to deal with a fire or flood in your home, it's important to make sure that you have your home inspected for mold, even after the restoration is complete. It is a presence that is hazardous to your home and your health. Professionals (such as ServiceMaster Of Edmonton Disaster Restoration) can remove the mold and perform encapsulation techniques in order to prevent future mold growth in your home.